Mk1 2 Door Build (& rebuild & rebuild)
Car: 1974 Mk1 Ford Escort
Colour: Tropicana Green
Owned Since: 2003
Well now that my escort is potentially near completion for the third rebuild in its life, i wanted to start posting up some pictures of its progress and what I have been up to with it.
I originally purchased the car in 2003 after receiving a push in the right direction from an avid Ford fan (owner of a Mk1 Twin Cam, Mk1 Cortina, Anglia 105E) as a first car to rebuild with my father while at school.
Being at school, everything was completed on a shoe string budget, reusing as many parts as possible to get it on the road.
It had fairly significant impact damage on the passengers side front gaurd which must have undergone a repair at some point in its life. The previous owner had also completed a (very poor) 2 litre conversion, but still maintained original Mk1 brakes etc so it was not complianced. The interior was orange and had white spray paint painted over it. The boot was full of random parts but it was able to be driven onto the trailer (just). Apart from this, it was ok.
The car was then re-registered in 2004 after receiving a new paint job, new interior, new struts etc and then complianced for the 2 litre motor.
It then remained this way until 2005 and I rebuilt the motor with the following:
Ported and Polished
Lightened and balanced
I was however still running the DGAV carb and points ignition after the rebuild.
I decided to purchase some side draft 40's and also tried to go electronic ignition (which never worked)
Never happy with the tune which the side drafts gave me, I chose to go to fuel injection after picking up a manifold and all wiring etc for a good price. I purchased a microtech fuel only computer and swapped the carp over to this arrangement. I did get the car on the road after this, but then again, not happy with how it ran, decided to ditch the fuel only computer and wanting to go to a fuel tune able system using the electronic dizzy, I purchased a DIY autotune kit and built the computer. I started the car once, had it running (not driving);This was in 2011. There was some point in the middle, I had the bonnet fly up and wrap around the roof of the car.....The car has been off the road since....
Since I had a little bit more money behind me at this point, i decided it was time to do all the things to the car that I wanted to do when i was younger but could afford too....and the list of upgrades began....
To date the car is getting or has had put in the following:
5 speed sierra box with adjustable gearbox mount
World Rally x Member
front coil over suspension with upgraded brakes
rear disk brakes
Pedal box with cable clutch
redesigned EFI system
However, while having the engine out for the gearbox upgrades, I decided i would repaint the engine bay again and tidy up the little things. I removed the bonnet pin latch and cut in the support for the radiator properly.... TBC...Photos to be attached and story to continue
post edited by Ionix - 2015/10/07 19:40:44