Go back to home

We have detected that you are using ad blocking software.
The Classic Ford forum is made possible by ad revenue.
Please disable your ad blocker to ensure that this site lives on.

AnsweredHot!Capri genuine driving light's mounting thread?

Author
Timmo
Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 79
  • Scores: 3
  • Reward points: 1112
2020/05/02 09:56:28 (permalink)

Capri genuine driving light's mounting thread?

Hi Everybody, firstly I hope you are all well and not suffering too much in this strange time we're all going through. Secondly, can you believe it's now over a year since that fantastic event Capriciation? Doesn't time fly?
Now onto the reason for this post. I have a set of genuine driving lights that I'm attempting to install on my 1970 V6, however the type of thread on the mounting bolt that protrudes from the light that has the wire coming through the centre of it has me stumped.(trust Lucas to make it hard) I'm not great at identifying different threads and being locked down in a small country town doesn't allow me to get out and about to different tool/machine shops in the general area. I have a feeling it might be whitworth, although someone suggested BSF, although it looks quite a coarse thread. It's definitely not UNC or UNF. Question is does anybody here know for sure? Secondly does anyone have a couple of these nuts in the parts bin that they would be willing to part with? As I said before my options here in Renmark are limited. I know I should go out and buy a thread gauge, maybe that's the next step but I thought I'd pick the brains of the experts on this forum first. All the best, Tim
See best answer

13 Replies Related Threads

cosworthfreak
    Supporter
    • Total Posts : 642
    • Scores: 32
    • Reward points: 4161
    Re: Capri genuine driving light's mounting thread? 2020/05/02 11:52:03 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby Timmo 2020/05/02 13:19:53
    I’ll have a look to see if I have spares
    Timmo
    Enthusiast
    Re: Capri genuine driving light's mounting thread? 2020/05/02 13:20:11 (permalink)
    Thanks

escfalcap
    Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 37
    • Reward points: 152
    Re: Capri genuine driving light's mounting thread? 2020/05/03 15:29:12 (permalink)
    Hi Timmo,
    FYI, UNC and Whithworth (BSW) are similar (except for 1/2") and for this reason in most applications you can interchange. BSF and UNF (which is most MK1 ) are not interchangeable.
    I have stripped my Capri down and (painfully) back together and I remember some weird ones (the only thing I think I'm sure of is they are not metric). I will also have a look. I can definitely recommend buying a set of thread gauges for common threads. Not expensive, but man can they save you some wasted time pissing around for the proverbial needle in a haystack. As you you said being Lucas?????
    Let you know what I come up with
    Mark
    Timmo
    Enthusiast
    Re: Capri genuine driving light's mounting thread? 2020/05/04 08:01:16 (permalink)
    Thanks
    escfalcap
    Enthusiast
    Re: Capri genuine driving light's mounting thread? 2020/05/04 08:47:21 (permalink)
    Well the pics tell most of the story. I do not know if the lights are the genuine items or indeed if the brackets are? They were in the usual box of bits sitting in the boot when you purchase an old 'stored in a barn' car  for 20+ years. The last pic shows the Made in England so I assume they are genuine, though Lucas brand name is not visible.
    Either way the mounting bolt is just a loose bolt and nut arrangement so not fixed liked yours Timmo.

Attached Image(s)

escfalcap
    Enthusiast
    Re: Capri genuine driving light's mounting thread? 2020/05/04 08:50:09 (permalink)

Timmo just read your original post again. Sorry I got the wrong bolt. Though would be good if someone could authenticate the lights/brackets for me.
    I will check out the one with the wire coming out and get back to you.
    Mark
    Timmo
    Enthusiast
    Re: Capri genuine driving light's mounting thread? 2020/05/04 09:07:37 (permalink)
    Hi Mark, yes you've definitely got the genuine article, very rare I might add, especially the brackets. Yes it's the thread of the nut and bolt with the wire going through. Thanks Tim

escfalcap
    Enthusiast
    Re: Capri genuine driving light's mounting thread? 2020/05/04 19:27:47 (permalink)
    Hi Tim, Well no dice sorry. Not Whithworth, UNC, UN/UNF, SAE. I have a funny feeling it may be a pipe thread like NPT or BSP which kind of makes sense given the application. Comparing pitch and threads per inch BSP looks very similar. I have 3/4" bsp and up.
    If you have a refrigeration guy/plumber around they may have fittings or taps to do the job. Otherwise depending on your workshop skills, take them to an engineering shop and get a couple machined up.
    If your not overly fussed with originality then get a suitable diameter bolt, drill a hole down through the centre and acorn nut (with hole drilled) to lock the bracket on.
    The reflectors in mine are pretty stuffed (by the looks of the one I pulled apart anyway) but lenses etc look fab so worst case I'm sure I could part with them.
    Timmo
    Enthusiast
    Re: Capri genuine driving light's mounting thread? 2020/05/05 09:18:13 (permalink)
    Hi Mark,
    Thanks for all the trouble you went to, I appreciate it. Looks like another 5 minute job turning into a bit of a saga. I've got a huge collection of nuts and bolts collected over the years and could not find one that fitted and so your guess re: a pipe thread or similar is probably on the money. Make sure you hang onto those lights and brackets, as I said before very rare now, you could possibly have the reflectors redone? Would be worth finding out. All the best Tim

Hi Tim, Well no dice sorry. Not Whithworth, UNC, UN/UNF, SAE. I have a funny feeling it may be a pipe thread like NPT or BSP which kind of makes sense given the application. Comparing pitch and threads per inch BSP looks very similar. I have 3/4" bsp and up.
    If you have a refrigeration guy/plumber around they may have fittings or taps to do the job. Otherwise depending on your workshop skills, take them to an engineering shop and get a couple machined up.
    If your not overly fussed with originality then get a suitable diameter bolt, drill a hole down through the centre and acorn nut (with hole drilled) to lock the bracket on.
    The reflectors in mine are pretty stuffed (by the looks of the one I pulled apart anyway) but lenses etc look fab so worst case I'm sure I could part with them.

Philh
    Aficionado
    • Total Posts : 69
    • Scores: 8
    • Reward points: 3103
    Re: Capri genuine driving light's mounting thread? 2020/05/05 23:28:31 (permalink)
    Another thread to consider is "British Standard Brass".
    gtv6capri
    Deity
    • Total Posts : 1411
    • Scores: 49
    • Reward points: 4275
    Re: Capri genuine driving light's mounting thread? 2020/05/06 09:52:39 (permalink)
    Brackets are correct for MK1 pre-facelift capri.  Lights should be odd for Australian delivery 1 is spread beam and 1 is pencil beam.  There are companies that rechrome reflectors, there is a guy down here called Decor Engineering who can split rechrome and re-assemble your lights

Capri The car I always promised myself
    escfalcap
    Enthusiast
    Re: Capri genuine driving light's mounting thread? 2020/05/06 19:50:54 (permalink)
    Thanks John, I will follow up as seems silly not to install them when every other part is perfect.
    What I want to know is what fools decided to create so many different threads, rail gauges etc.
    I was perusing (aka; drooling over) the Rocket catalog recently and they list an AN (Army/Navy) thread. Just when I thought I'd seen them all.
    Mark
    BEEVEE
    Aficionado
    • Total Posts : 786
    • Scores: -2
    • Reward points: 2461
    Re: Capri genuine driving light's mounting thread? 2020/06/26 11:12:45 (permalink)
    I was led to believe the multitude of threads and Rail Gauges stemmed from individual companies that didn't want their products to be "common" and easily adapted/copied to fit various fittings into the opposition's goods, just like early Railways from over 100 years ago, were all private and independent and wanted to protect their Line from being used by other Rail Operators who would have just transferred their rolling stock & Locos (after changing bogies), onto their adversary's Line and gain more delivery distance. They could never come to an agreement as one Line would ALWAYS be longer or shorter and quarrels broke
    out before any hope of resolution could be had, plus the Lines with longer track routes sought compensation from those with shorter Lines, plus how important or serviceable one Line was over the next. No solution was ever found.
    So they all went their separate ways and created separate gauges all over Australia by the hundreds. None lasted very long. Now all gone.
    SCREWTHREAD FOOLISHNESS WAS BAD ENOUGH  ..  RAIL FOOLISHNESS HISTORY SAW SO MANY LIVES & FORTUNES LOST
    At Sorrento near the end of the Mornington Peninsula on top of the cliff overlooking the Ferry Terminal, there is a saved section of Rail plus a Memorial of the actual line that ran somewhere nearby, with no connection to the established line that reached as far as Red Hill.  If anyone's interested, I can dig up photos I took when our Car Club (Mornington Peninsula Historic Vehicles Club) crossed the the "Rip" to Queeenscliff to join in festivities with another Club, which alternates each year when they come over to our side. Photo will show details on the Memorial Plaque, plus pics of Station and Line. 
    The most successful and ever-financial line in Victoria to this day is the extension to Lysaghts Steel Mill near Hastings.

post edited by BEEVEE - 2020/07/04 11:46:11

"GOOD BETTER BEST: NEVER LET IT REST: UNTIL YOUR GOOD IS BETTER, AND YOUR BETTER, BEST"
    ( Furphy WW1 HORSE-DRAWN water-tank end-plates)
    Jump to:

© 2020 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1