Go back to home

We have detected that you are using ad blocking software.
The Classic Ford forum is made possible by ad revenue.
Please disable your ad blocker to ensure that this site lives on.

Hot!wierd stalling problem

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
in rod we trust
Aficionado
  • Total Posts : 403
  • Scores: 3
  • Reward points: 1547
2019/07/24 00:06:13 (permalink)

wierd stalling problem

my v6 all the sudden wants to stall after a while at lights or when stoping or at times at idle

thought it was the base carby plate after mine was cracked.. spud sent me one ..cheers spud .. but it still does it . fitted a new kit on the carby a 38 dgms  but its got me scratching my head as what it could be changed dizzy cap , fuel pump , plugs  ..  runs fine while driving …  but at times out of nowhere it decides to just stall then keeps doing it starts ok after stalling and at times it will sit there idling no probs for quite a while ..I have the accuspark ignition  .. its just got me stumped trying to get the car ready for all ford day  but its just giving me the ****s... also noticed that when I tighten the dizzy bolt it moves the timing off a bit as well ...

22 Replies Related Threads

BEEVEE
    Aficionado
    • Total Posts : 647
    • Scores: -6
    • Reward points: 1948
    Re: wierd stalling problem 2019/07/24 14:03:47 (permalink)
    15 minute check  ........ by putting Points and Condenser back in in lieu of accuspark 

Strong advocator of ORIGINAL parts.............how many decades did we race 4,6 and V8 cars around the world
    on points with 10/10 reliability ?  ............and motor bikes at MUCH higher revs?

"GOOD BETTER BEST: NEVER LET IT REST: UNTIL YOUR GOOD IS BETTER, AND YOUR BETTER, BEST"
    ( Furphy WW1 HORSE-DRAWN water-tank end-plates)
    in rod we trust
    Aficionado
    Re: wierd stalling problem 2019/07/24 16:55:40 (permalink)
    BEE VEE
    15 minute check  ........ by putting Points and Condenser back in in lieu of accuspark 

Strong advocator of ORIGINAL parts.............how many decades did we race 4,6 and V8 cars around the world
    on points with 10/10 reliability ?  ............and motor bikes at MUCH higher revs?

been at this thing all day even changed carbies with one I had laying around a 40 dfav  still same crap  took it out for a drive  with the 38 after re adjusting the float within a mile stalled at the end of the street ...  started it up again the drove it for about 29 mins no probs ..turned it off .. took it for another drive and same thing started stalling .. 

I'm going to try the points again  but was having a bit of a nightmare with the points they were burning out and had to always re adjust them  

car runs fine when ya driving but as soon as ya come to a stop it will either ldle or stall ...  

almost at the stahe of ripping the 6 out and putting v8 in it  ...  anyway back to the drawing board to try again  

BEEVEE
    Aficionado
    Re: wierd stalling problem 2019/07/24 18:12:23 (permalink)
    IF points are burning out, that's likely a CONDENSER in your description........... a new condenser means NOTHING if NOT tested.........find someone with a MICROFARAD TESTER and look for a reading between pigtail and body of 0.16 uf to 0.35 uf and you're laughing........any reading below or above these readings means it belongs in scrap .

Putting a V8 is not gunna change a thing when same thing happens to iIT......  ANY condenser with a pigtail long enuf can be used till you find the right physical dimension type for that dizzy. IF readings as above are ok on "ring-in", feed lead thru to points and fix body to one of clip screws

Next POI is Ign Coil, but i think you tried that.........was coil TESTED to spec ?

Dont leave accuspark coil in it with points...........common 70's Coil (tested) from Falcon Valiant or Holden (with ext resistor) must be used

post edited by BEEVEE - 2019/07/24 18:18:05

"GOOD BETTER BEST: NEVER LET IT REST: UNTIL YOUR GOOD IS BETTER, AND YOUR BETTER, BEST"
    in rod we trust
    Aficionado
    Re: wierd stalling problem 2019/07/24 18:40:13 (permalink)
    BEE VEE
    IF points are burning out, that's likely a CONDENSER in your description........... a new condenser means NOTHING if NOT tested.........find someone with a MICROFARAD TESTER and look for a reading between pigtail and body of 0.16 uf to 0.35 uf and you're laughing........any reading below or above these readings means it belongs in scrap .

Putting a V8 is not gunna change a thing when same thing happens to iIT......  ANY condenser with a pigtail long enuf can be used till you find the right physical dimension type for that dizzy. IF readings as above are ok on "ring-in", feed lead thru to points and fix body to one of clip screws

Next POI is Ign Coil, but i think you tried that.........was coil TESTED to spec ?

Dont leave accuspark coil in it with points...........common 70's Coil (tested) from Falcon Valiant or Holden (with ext resistor) must be used

cheers   so a external resistor is needed mine didn't have one when it had the points

just something I noticed  is the rotor supposed to move at least 15 deg then snap back im sure they should 

BEEVEE
    Aficionado
    Re: wierd stalling problem 2019/07/24 20:46:47 (permalink)
    Leave it without if you cant find your original Resistor Wire; just use a standard non resistor controlled coil as fitted to most cars in the 50's and 60's............your problem is not there..............
    Neither is the rotor not snapping back as it should.
    Do as I suggested and see if that helps

martymexico
    Deity
    • Total Posts : 1190
    • Scores: 41
    • Reward points: 3562
    Re: wierd stalling problem 2019/07/25 21:40:22 (permalink)
    It could be fuel related, some gunk in the tank could be rolling about and blocking the pipe momentarily. Or there could be a pin hole in the line somewhere sucking air to the carb . Idle mixture to rich..
    Hope you get it sorted soon
    BEEVEE
    Aficionado
    Re: wierd stalling problem 2019/07/25 22:41:00 (permalink)
    Rod, have you got those points in yet ?

IMHO.............
    Any degree of spasmodic blockage will rear its ugly head at maximum load/speed, but Rods problem is non existent UNTIL it idles ....... also pretty sure the Capri has a "gauze" in-tank filter like most if not all post 1969 cars.
    Any induction (vacuum) leak anywhere in the system to a certain degree, gives a over-lean mix; not over-rich, and will make engine idle very much higher, plus present other driveability probs thru the rev range. Progressively higher vacuum leak after prgrsvly higher revs, will then cause engine to starve/stall; not in Rods description.
    post edited by BEEVEE - 2019/07/27 15:56:54

GTV6
    Master
    • Total Posts : 632
    • Scores: 26
    • Reward points: 4013
    Re: wierd stalling problem 2019/07/26 01:39:45 (permalink)
    Sounds like the issue is once the car is warm.   This can be heat affecting the coil or leads, or carb is running rich, which when cold is ok but once warm could be too rich for idle and cause stall.

Check the resistance in coil, hot and cold, and test resistance in leads.  If they are ok then I would check and clean out the carb you might have got dirt in one of the passages when you kitted it.

If your choke is auto check its not getting stuck.

If you have accuspark ignition I doubt it has anything to do with it.  Its just electronic points so if there was a problem with it it would show up at all revs and temps, not just hot idle.

That said, if its just at idle and drives well in mid range, no misfiring, then my money would be on the idle circuit or choke, and it could be as simple as you didn't adjust the idle screws properly when you kitted it.
    BEEVEE
    Aficionado
    Re: wierd stalling problem 2019/08/03 11:38:07 (permalink)
    Hey Rod!  ..........   what's happening ?

gtv6capri
    Deity
    • Total Posts : 1372
    • Scores: 43
    • Reward points: 4028
    Re: wierd stalling problem 2019/08/05 10:56:08 (permalink)
    Those electronic conversions are bad, the company started giving you heat proof grease to put under the module but they still fail when hot. The issue with them is the where you attach the power in wire, it needs to be prior to the in line resistor, also your coil needs to be a Resistor type eg GT40R

Capri The car I always promised myself
    in rod we trust
    Aficionado
    Re: wierd stalling problem 2019/08/09 00:24:52 (permalink)
    well thought I had it sorted  went to all ford day  no probs on the way down the freeway.. waited in line np probs drove home went for a feed got stuck in some local traffic and it did it again only once ..

thought id take it out again on the weekend and it started to do it again does most of it when its warm over the blue  just under half way on the temp then at times will do it when its just on the blue .. 

worse thing is I can let it idle at home all day and nothing happens but when I take it out it has a mind of its own when it will do it ...

was thinking of buying a 350 holley to put on but the price for a new one is bit expensive and am a bit hesitant to buy one and not fix the prob … ill go thru the coil again and test that its a accuspark 1.5 ohm coil  with the accuspark electric ignition  .. I have changed all leading up to the carb from fuel pump 1-6 psi to filter and carb filter as well …  I have just brought a regulator in thinking its soften up the float needle by the pressure but its the same pump as old one, which had no probs ..   im still leaning towards carb as when it stalls it will start right back up.  and when its in stalling mode I keep revs up over the 1k and it wont stall  unless I take my foot off and let it idle .. I re did the whole carb changed every thing in there new every everything carby cleaned it blew it out with air in every hole etc , blew out the idle circuit emulsion tubes jets etc ...  ill order new points and condenser and throw that back on with the gt 40r coil  and see what happens …  the only other thing I can think it is a manifold leak when it gets a bit warm expansion causes more air to pass..  I sort of have a feeling it could be manifold gasket as well as I do notice the revs when warm will rise about 100 rpm at times and then drop at times but its not hunting at all tho  and holds idle well when it idles doesn't rise and fall … once at the light it stalled got it started took off and stalled while trying to take off  ..unless there is some loose wire somewhere that is not earthed out...

all I know its got me stumped as what it can be …  back in the day I could throw another carb to check it but these days they are just hard to find in good working order even if its just to borrow to test it out for a couple runs … its giving me the ****s tho   

as for the accuspark yes they did give me the grease to put under it and the first accuspark I fitted just didn't work out of the box …    there isn't much choice I noticed for electronic ignition they are nearly all the same with just a different name on them ..  another thing I noticed is first run it will go ok then if I turn it off and grab a bite etc come back to the car 30 mins or 1 hr later that's when it starts to do it …  

post edited by in rod we trust - 2019/08/09 00:33:46
    ronsmallford
    Deity
    • Total Posts : 833
    • Scores: 37
    • Reward points: 4145
    Re: wierd stalling problem 2019/08/09 12:16:44 (permalink)
    Idle jets blocked or PCV valve gummed up?

"Horsepower loves the absense of weight" (from Elfin ad)
    "The car that reshapes your life".(Ford ad)
    BEEVEE
    Aficionado
    Re: wierd stalling problem 2019/08/09 12:22:41 (permalink)
    Rod......
    You dont think 15 minutes fitting points and condenser is better than 15 hours of all the other work and stress that has not solved the problem ?  
    .............................Also check for "carbon tracking" inside dizzy cap AND ohms test your LEADS.

I have Quality spare NOS Cap rotor condenser and rotor made in Germany  .......   unlike the repro junk thats on ebay and in shops that are designed with inferior materials so as not to last. Mine are much dearer initially than the chinese repros, but it's a no brainer if mine outperform and outlast.
    Quality BAKELITE Cap and Rotor have MATCHING BRASS AIR GAP TERMINALS

cheers

BEEVEE
    Aficionado
    Re: wierd stalling problem 2019/08/09 12:26:22 (permalink)
    PCV valve is not likely to be spasmodic & more likely to show its weakness when Oil Cap is blocked or someone incorrectly fitted a ventless cap.

I also have for sale nos genuine "Dufor" V6 PCV Valves and NGK Japan Double Platinum Spark Plugs

post edited by BEEVEE - 2019/08/09 12:29:37

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:

© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1