Author
hak073
Supporter
  • Total Posts : 422
  • Scores: 7
  • Reward points: 2026
2012/02/02 22:50:42 (permalink)

Electronic Ignition Wiring Help - Car Wont Start

I've just replaced the brake booster on the mk1, and of course now its all back together it won't start.
I did have to take the ignition module (its got electronic ignition) off the side of the engine bay to get the booster off and then on again. The only thing I can think it might be is the wire that's not connected in the photos below. I didn't notice if it was connected or not before I moved things.Its the double plug on the right that's the culprit. One wire goes to the radio suppressor, and the other disappears into the old loom.

There is a spare terminal on both the positive and negative sides (you can see the +ve one in the pic above, the -ve one is the same), and I did think about just hooking it up and seeing which one worked. But then I didn't want to blow anything up either.
I need to get her running tomorrow so I can get on down to Melbourne for SFS. So if anyone has any ideas please let me know.

4 Replies Related Threads

v4capmad
    Aficionado
    • Total Posts : 337
    • Scores: 8
    • Reward points: 1562
    Re:Electronic Ignition Wiring Help - Car Wont Start 2012/02/02 23:13:22 (permalink)
    Do you have a factory wiring manual, if its part of the orignal loom, you could chase the colours in the wiring diagram, to see where it goes. i have a capri manual, so i might be able to help. O

RS Owners of Australia Club http://www.rsownersclubaust.com.au/
    Rs Owners RS Capri RS3100 and RS2600 Club registar
     capri@rsownersclubaust.com.au

hak073
    Supporter
    Re:Electronic Ignition Wiring Help - Car Wont Start 2012/02/03 10:30:26 (permalink)
    I had a look at the wiring diagram, but the colours didn't seem to match up. The ones coming out of the plug look like they're black and red.
    But then cause its an auto maybe that's right cause they look like they go to the starter solenoid (no.33). No.32 is the manual starter solenoid.

So from that I'd guess that I hook it up to the +ve side of the coil (or in this case the ignition module) and the -ve side goes to the distributor and then to earth. Does that sound right?
    (a big version of the wiring diagram I was looking at is here: http://hak.gwc134.net/tem...300_wiring_diagram.jpg )
    Bacca
    Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 75
    • Scores: 0
    • Reward points: 1671
    Re:Electronic Ignition Wiring Help - Car Wont Start 2012/02/03 13:02:48 (permalink)
    Yes, connect to +ve side.

hak073
    Supporter
    Re:Electronic Ignition Wiring Help - Car Wont Start 2012/02/03 13:49:08 (permalink)
    Thanks Theo, she's all fixed. Hooked it to +ve and away she went.
    Just took her to town and fueled up. So we're all ready to rock in the early hours of tomorrow.
    Will catch you guys on the road somewhere tomorrow Theo
    Jump to:

© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1